Friday, August 14, 2009

Vote for me



Today I received my first ever letter while in Estonia. It notified me that as an E.U. citizen who has permanent residence "I have the right to participate in the elections in the rural municipality where I reside" In other word the local elections are coming up on 18th October and I get to vote.

I thought that perhaps I should vote in the time honoured Irish tradition of voting the way my father did and his father before him and at the risk of sounding like a Monty Python sketch "My fathers fathers father". But enough of this nonsense, as I'm the first Lynch to stray this far from Cavan, its unlikely that Fianna Fail will be on the ballot paper.



But it's not merely about voting, after all the letter said that I had the right to participate.

Yes, you've got the idea, I want to stand for election.

At least I wanted to stand until I discovered that you had to pay a registration fee to the value of two months salary of the elected official. As I have no idea how much this is or that its unlikely that I will gain 5% of the votes to get my deposit back I have decided to decline this generous offer.



So all that's left for me to do is to find an honest hard working politician to vote for.

Now that's gonna take time, a lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment