Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Estonian Class

This morning I took my very first Estonian class. After many delays and a change of venue I was finally able to say to the class "Tere, Minu nimi on James", Hello, My name is James.

I've been over here for nearly three months and have felt a bit of an outsider because of the language barrier. Although everyone takes the time to translate their conversations for me, they shouldn't have to. After all what right would I have to complain about the Russians living in Estonia that refuse to learn Estonian, if I do precisely the same thing.

Before the class started a knew three or four simple expressions, but even these I tended to pronounce somewhat quietly, I little embarrassed perhaps at my efforts to speak someone Else's language.

Well at 9:00 this morning all that changed, as I and my three fellow students through ourselves into the course. The other students consisted of a Turk, a Hungarian and an Englishwoman.
Ninety minutes later the first of my twice weekly classes was over, only three and a half months to go. Full of enthusiasm for my new venture, I spent another the next two hours at home going over the material.

Off course with all this extra time being spent on the course, I have to wonder where I will find time play video games, read books and watch all those downloaded movies.
Ah yes, I just won't sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment