Saturday, April 4, 2009

Estonia 1 - 0 Armenia


Last Wednesday I went to watch Estonia's World cup qualifying match at the national football stadium "A La Coq Arena". Although it didn't seem particularly cold when I left for the game, all that changed after taking my seat and the wind blew around me. Although the game lacked the excitement of the Ireland - Italy match a few hours later, it was great to actually go to a match again and help support the local team.

The stadium is named after a beer, in fact it's the only beer I drink over here. If they served it in Ireland it would be the only beer that I'ld drink there as well. Anyway back to the game. Armenia obviously came looking for a draw as they lacked the quality to win and most of their squad spent an average of five minutes on the ground faking injuries attempting to waste time. I'm pleased to report that their efforts were wasted, for with five minutes remaining Estonia scored the only goal of the game.

With Spain, Bosnia, Turkey and Belgium in the same group, Eesti's chance of qualifying from this group was always going to be small, but as more and more of their players join clubs in Europe's higher leagues, expectations are high for the future. With this in mind there is an under 19's tournament in May that I plan on attending.

Well after the match it was of to the Nimeta Baar for me to watch just about every other match, until the early hours of teh next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment