Sunday, February 15, 2009

Is it really wrong to complain?


It may not be the Irish way and it certainly isn’t the Estonian way of doing things, but it does my heart good to complain.

Recently I wanted to submit my Book Reviews onto Amazon.com, for a wider audience to appreciate. However after a failed attempt, an automatic response told me that I couldn’t upload a review until I registered.
So I registered.
Then I was told that I still couldn’t until I had bought something. This was hardly fair, so I wrote to complain. Unforgivably they wrote back with an acceptable explanation.

But this is not the end of my rant, oh no. For once again, that monumental bureaucracy that is the ESB came charging into my sights, like General Custer merrily galloping through the Little Big Horn .
Just before I left Dublin, I sent them my last metered reading. To my amazement it was nearly four times the usual price. I politely phoned, I politely emailed and I not so politely emailed my concerns.
All to the sum total of being told they were rounding up my bill and not just estimating the cost. But as I was leaving Ireland they promised to investigate my query further and email me in a week or two.

Three weeks later another bill arrives, this time looking for a further €102.00.

Putting pen to paper once again, I expressed my disdain for their performance in words that would have shamed the devil himself.
And then it happen. The following day in fact, an apology no less.
Yes, yes it was true. The all knowing, all loving Electricity Supply Board had realised that they had made a mistake and in fact, they owed me €102.00 Euro and the cheque is now on its way.
It may not be the Irish, Estonian or even your way, but when your cause is just, complain, complain and complain some more

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr James, I am disgusted and appalled by the lack of my cut of your ill gotten ESB booty. If I don't recieve it (or a pint of guinness when you're back in town) I will feel the need to complain again, and I may use a bad word then. Yours in high moral outrage, Ms Oubliette.

    ReplyDelete