Friday, February 6, 2009

CRACKING THE CODE

In the World War II movie “MIDWAY­“an Americans analyst proudly announced “We cracked the Jap codes general, or at least 10% percent of it anyway“. Well in the movie that was enough to figure out where the Japanese were going to attack, if not precisely when.
Yeahhhh, erm, well in the real world understanding one word in ten or in my case, one in twenty leaves me all at sea when trying to understand the locals. Fortunately nearly everyone here has sufficient English so I can get by, but “when in Rome, you do as the Romans do“or in this case the Estonians.

My planned English - Estonian class has been postponed indefinitely due to lack of numbers. So until then i'm stumbling along with my flash cards and note pad, scribbling down the occasional word or turn of phrase. It’s a frustratingly slow, but when opportunity allows I throw in a word or two no matter who clumsy or funny it sounds to those around.

To the untrained ear, Estonian words starting with Ts sound like Ds and those with Ps sound like Bs. The other day I had a few people looking around for a Tiger, when I was pointing out a digger (JCB).
A bit of information useless information for you, is that the “Picnic“ is spelt Piknik. However if you pronounce it slowly “Pic _ Nik“ it means „“Long F**K“. Oh yes, guess how I learnt about that?Until next time dear reader.

Until next time dear reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment