Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Schools Out for Summer

After four months or sixty in-class hours of tuition my entry level Estonian language class came to an end this morning. My range of Estonian insults has increased as well as my ability to confuse the local shop workers, as I can now ask for food, drink with relative clarity but am lost when they ask me an unexpected question or speak faster than I can translate and that’s not very fast.

Getting up for an 8:30 a.m. start was getting increasingly difficult, as was having three classes a week which gave little time to review the previous class material and prepare for the next. The novelty of taking the class had long since worn off , but the feeling that I was doing something worthwhile was increasing at the same time.

Taking this class gave much needed structure to my week especially when it first started, I met new people and feel that I have achieved something substantial although I feel that I could and should have learnt more. Well I have until September to review the course work and hopefully use it the language more and more on a daily basis, before the next level starts.

2 comments:

  1. Say something in Estonian James!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He can say the most important things, like MA ARMASTAN SIND (I love you), KAKS Ă•LUT PALUN (two beers please)and KUS ON TUALETT (where is the toilet).

    ReplyDelete