Saturday, May 23, 2009

Võitle Eesti Võitle

Võitle Eesti Võitle (Fight Estonia Fight)

That was the chant at this evening Under 19's football match between Estonia and Spain. Over the last few weeks I've been playing and watching more and more football, no longer am I just an armchair supporter. Recently I went to a top of the Estonian league clash between FC Flora and Viljandi. It wasn't exactly Premiership quality and there were nearly as many people on the field than there was watching, but it's all about meeting the locals and taking part in their way of life.

After all how can I complain about anything over here if I don't give it ago. This very reasoning part of my inspirations to learn Estonian, after all how can I criticise the Russia's minions living here, who refuse to learn the language if I do the very same?

But I digress.
Football Football Football, that is the topic of the day.

Tonight's match ended with Spain walking away with a 3 - 0 win. By half time it was clear that Estonia were never going to score, I knew this and so did the Spanish as they obviously lost interested as they went through the motions of the second half. However what kept improving was the fans interest not only in this game, but also football in general. Up to the final whistle the record crowd of 6.800 in the 8,000 seat stadium cheered on their team as if they had just qualified for the world cup.
Last Thursday it was Germany's turn to teach Estonia a proverbial lesson in football with a 5 - 0 win, but even then over a 5,000 people turned up, setting the previous record attendance until tonight.

With the disappearance of snow and the advent of good weather, indoor football was replaced with the outdoor game. Last Saturday I spent two and a half very fast hours playing on a school pitch. This morning should have been the same, but some drastic happened to change all that.
It Rained.
Okay that doesn't sound so dramatic when you are living in Ireland, butI have only seen rain on three brief occasions since I left thoseshores and todays shower seemed like a monsoon to my shocked mind. So I didn't venture out.
Next week I'm taking part in tourament, but more about that next week.

Oh yes there is that minor matter of the Champions league final on Wednesday, but surely MAn. Utd are going to win that as well.
Aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment