Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Three Days in Riga


Tiiu and I went to Riga, Latvia on Sunday for three days. The highlight was supposed to be the Depeche Mode concert on Monday evening, unforgivably the show was cancelled. I didn’t mind the four hour coach drive, paying for a two day stay or the awful food that the hotel passed as breakfast, but what made me bloody angry was the lack of notice given and the disappointment felt by Tiiu as she had been looking forward to this for such a long time.
After swearing and cursing at everything and anything Latvian for a couple of hours I finally calmed down and tried to make the best of the rest of the trip.

Putting this fiasco aside, the trip did have some memorable and slightly odd moments, such as visiting the German WWI Zeppelin hangars which have since been converted into markets, where the strawberries were cheap, tasty and devoured along the sun kissed banks of the Daugava river.
I spent ninety minutes in a museum that seemed to pass in five, however to Tiiu (or perhaps I should say Una) it seemed like five hours, rather than minutes. I’m still thanking her for putting up with the visit, oh did I mention that it was a war museum?
No?
I suppose that might explain the bored look on her face.

The weather was perfect, on the journey back we were upgraded to a luxury coach where I managed to pass the time studying Estonian. But the proverbial icing on the cake was when I was given a 20% discount on a new jacket. Ironically I pratically had to be forced into taking the discount.
You know the old story “when something seems to good to be true, its because it isn't true“ well this time it was true. A store card that gives 10% of everything , but on the day of purchase you receive 20%.
And the cost of this store card?
Two Lats, about three and half Euro.

No comments:

Post a Comment