Thursday, March 12, 2009

Another First


My first eight weeks in Estonia have been full of new experiences.
A First time to go hole fishing, ice skating, walking across a frozen a sea and now I've been skiing.

Arriving at the resort I was handed my skis and a pair of those sticks. There's probably a better name for them other than "those stick things", but right now its all I got. The skis simply clamp onto your boots by pressing the toe of your boot against them.

But this simple process wasn't as simple as it sounded, as I struggled and swore with those devilish devices.

Sometime later I eventually stood up and was ready to go. Unfortunately the only place I went for another ten minutes was back on the ground. In spite of Tiiu's best efforts and my insistence that not only was I listening to her but understood perfectly what she meant.

However understanding and doing, turned out to be completely different things, as I got up, fell down got up again and yes fell down time and time again. Attempting to get up for the tenth time, I put a bit too much pressure onto the Ski-stick and it snapped.

I'm not sure if it was because of my laughable efforts at speaking at Estonian or the pitiful look on my face as I brought the damaged equipment back, the owner just grinned and gave me a new one free of charge.

Knees bent, leaning forward and not crossing my skis, it started to look as though there may be hope for me yet as I slid along a prepared route. Picking up speed as I moved along, I suddenly realised that not only did I not know how to turn, or slow down, so I stopped the only way I knew how.

On the way home we passed by a small football stadium, where the pitch was being prepared in the Estonian way, with a groundsman sweeping the snow of the pitch with his plough attached to his quad bike. Yep difinitely a day for firsts.

3 comments:

  1. At least you fell into soft snow! Right?
    I think you are very brave to try out all those new things and you don't give up when people point their fingers at you and laugh! (Not me ofcourse!) And you did just fine after an hour! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done JamI'd never manage... Anyways, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this Jamie Lynch? From the Black Swan? :)

    ReplyDelete