Friday, January 23, 2009

Snow Snow everywhere



Unless you were living in Dublin during the winter 82 or travel to places where snow sticking to the ground, isnt a cause to close schools and airports, you cant quite appreciate how perfect the world looked this morning.

Only when temperatures drops to below minus 25, are schools for the under tens permitted to close, but everyone else has to get in and life most certainly goes on over here.

The snow fell continously throughout the night again, leaving perhaps just 15cm of the stuff on the ground and yes, I did say "just 15 cm", because 15 cm is no big deal here.
At 2:00 am the local council workers throw sand and salt onto the pavement, thats followed by the snow ploughs a couple of hours later and finally large open top lorries pour into the city to scoop up the snow and dump it in nearby forests . On Monday's the ploughs clear the right hand side and the centre of the road, then on Tuesdays the left and centre are taken care of.
So the day of the week will dictate what side of the road you park on..

Armed with my sled, yesterday I tore down the slopes of one of these forests. Losing control almost everytime sending a shower of snow throughout the air and ended up with enough snow on me to turn my black winter clothes white. Hurtling down the hillside is akin to going on a roller coaster, except that you cant crash into trees on the roller coaster. Yet after parting company with my sled and landing not so delicately into a wall of snow I always managed to get to my feet and slowly back up the hill for "just one more go".
YES. I love the snow, the sledging, the snowball fights and even the snowman.
After way to few snow filled winters, this is one belated white Christmas I really enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment