Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Finding my way before the snow sets in

Equipped with my eighteen words in Estonian, I returned to this, the most eastern part of western Europe with my Girlfriend and our dreams of adventure and if all should go as planned, happiness and wealth.

With less than forty eight hours on the clock since my plane touched in Tallinn International airport and with one hell of wind pushing it along, I have quickly fitted into the rhythm of life over here.

With two briefs trip under my belt in the in the last two years I had seen enough to persuade me travel and chase those dreams.

Unlike my earlier visits, both of which were in the summer, Tallinn ( Estonia´s capital city) appears to be void of tourists and a half empty in the daytime. As a wonderful woman recently told me "Estonia is small and the population is shrinking by the hour" and you know what she isnt wrong.

Unlike the crowded streets of most capital cities you can actually feel as though you have space to move through this clean medieval city, rather than being pushed, bumped and generally ignored as life is back in the Dublin.

Taking of my rose tinted glasses I should allow for a reality check or two. There is traffic congestion here, “the credit crunch” has had an impact upon the economy and there is some social disqueit between the Estonian population and Russian immigrants who were stuck in trains and sent here by “uncle Joe Stalin” back in the day. This realationship is a little like Northern Ireland with the Cs and Ps.

That having been said none of the above would impact upon anyone planning a trip here. In a latter installment i´ll do my tourist guide bit, but not tonight my friends. Tonight is about is about this Queens Park Ranger who has sort a foreign shore that will be forever England……. or Ireland (my apologies to the Bard for the complete mis-use of his efforts).

1 comment:

  1. Hey there James! Freaky photo :) Shall be reading, and I'm going to link to you too :) Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete